Tuesday, April 1, 2008

28 Days Later

I like the idea of continuity and self-reference, and I noticed that in 28 days, I will be home again. One thing is certain- when I wrote my original post 28 days before I came to China, I had no idea what was going on. I put off thinking about it until the last minute, packed the night before I left (forgot a few things I needed) and ended up on the other side of the world.

I'll be writing more of my final thoughts and overall impressions as the days tick away. We still have one more week of school and then a thirteen day trip around China, so there should be plenty to write about.

There are many reasons that I'll miss China, but there are also plenty why I'll be glad to be back. For example, the washing machines in the dorms (and hanging them up to dry) have all but utterly destroyed my clothes. Just last night, one pair of pants emerged from the machine with a giant hole in it. The washing machine allows only those truly deserving clothes, with greatness of heart and valor, to survive unscathed.

So all that is to say that, in a stark reversal of my usual temperament, if you ask me if I would like to go on a shopping trip at any point this summer, I will probably say yes.

I was going to do some sort of April Fool's joke, but then something actually happened that seemed funny enough. For the debate at CCTV tomorrow I have been upgraded from Independent to Republican, because CCTV requested a Republican and the other two people going are supporting Clinton and Obama. So regardless of my actual beliefs (right now I disagree and agree with different things and haven't decided which issue is the most important to me as far as supporting a candidate goes) I get to play my favorite role of devil's advocate against two people who essentially agree with all of each other's points. That, at least, should be a lot of fun.

No comments: